Friday, September 28, 2007

Censoring Text Messages

This past week Naral Pro-Choice America, an abortion rights group, approached Verizon Wireless with a deal that would allow their supporters to sign up for free text messages from the organization. Verizon initially rejected the request which would give the organization a short code. Short codes allow people to sign up to receive messages from companies. All other major wireless carriers agreed to the deal except for Verizon. However, days after its decision was announced, Verizon changed its mind and agreed to the deal.

Verizon’s initial rejection raises a number of questions about net neutrality. Verizon claimed that it does not accept any issue-centered programs, those dealing with subjects such as war. Even with its reversal Verizon maintained that it has the right to decide what messages can be transmitted on its network.

With text messaging increasingly becoming a popular form of communication, the idea that the information that is transmitted can be censored is more than troubling. Does Verizon have the right to censor communication on its network or should the network be open access for any information? The issue of censorship is one that we should all start to consider.

I use text messages as often as I use emails to communicate. I can receive them at all times (even when away from my computer), and the messages I receive are of greater importance to me than the numerous emails that fill up my inbox on a daily basis. As a Verizon customer, it worries me that my text messages aren’t fully controlled by me. As time goes on, what else could be censored? With censorship becoming a bigger issue in our society, it will be interesting to follow this issue and see how it gets framed by the various organizations involved.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/27/business/27cnd-verizon.html?ex=1348545600&en=be862e29bc5b54e9&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

No comments: