Monday, September 17, 2007

Airport Bathrooms, the Newest Tourist Attraction

Preamble: I plan on using this blog as a forum to discuss my opinions on what I consider to be "hard" political news. That said, today will be a complete exception to that rule. Enjoy...

Who would have ever thought that there would be a photo opportunity for tourists in an airport bathroom? However, according to an article in the Sunday edition of the Idaho Statesmen, it seems that a certain men's room stall at the Minneapolis Airport has become quite the tourist attraction. That's right, you guessed it, it's the stall made infamous by Senator Larry Craig (R-Idaho). As sick as it may seem, Jeanne Huff reports that many people have been actively seeking out the bathroom while at the airport, and have been "going inside, taking pictures of the stall" and "taking pictures outside the bathroom door." People working in the Minneapolis Airport are now receiving multiple requests each day from tourists and passerby's to point them in the direction of the "Larry Craig bathroom." 

When I first read this article, the first thing that came to my mind was, "REALLY?" As much as I hate to admit it, I have come to expect a certain amount of inane behavior from our celebrity infatuated culture. However, the idea of people taking pictures of a BATHROOM just because some Senator tried to get a little action in it has brought my opinion of a certain sect of the American public down to a new all time low.

I understand why people wanted to know what happened (he's a United States Senator who pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor). I even understand why it became such a big story (he's a Republican who has vehemently opposed gay rights in the past).  However, I fail to see how the site of the potential sex act attracts any sort of interest at all. Honestly, I'm not so sure that it isn't more disgusting to be taking pictures of the site of a potential public sex act, then it is to engage in the actual act. Also, when did it become legal or even socially acceptable to take pictures inside of a bathroom? I know I would be the first person to be calling for airport security if someone came into the bathroom snapping pictures while I was trying to relieve myself. 

Finally, I would like to make a suggestion to the Minneapolis Airport. If you're going to allow the bathroom to become a tourist attraction, take advantage of it! Start charging admission to the bathroom. Heck, why not even get a wax replica made of the Senator sitting in his "wide" stance tapping his foot. They could even put up a big TV outside of the bathroom with a reenactment of the incident. $3 to enter, $5 if you want your picture taken...

No comments: