Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Save Ellis Island


It's not often that I find myself clicking on banner ads on a website. After being online for 4 or 5 hours each day you start to become immune to them after a while. Today was different.

As I was checking the news on CNN, I ran across the ad that I have placed above and found myself drawn to it for a couple of reasons. First, being a fan of The Soprano's, when I saw Johnny Sack's (Vincent Curatola) face it got me paying attention. Second, the slogan "It would be a good idea you made a donation" isn't exactly something that you see every day in an ad (even if it isn't grammatically correct). Third, the other slogan of the ad, "Save Ellis Island," easily invokes curiousity. I for one, know a little about Ellis Island (where it is and it's significance), but I had no idea it was in need of "saving." Fourth, as much as a corporate sponsorship would usually turn me off from clicking on an ad, the fact that Arrow was sponsoring this (and the whole Save Ellis Island campaign), somehow lent credence to the idea that this was a serious campaign with a serious problem.

Even though this is probably one of the best internet banner ads that I've ever come across, what is even more amazing is what happens when you click on it. weareellisisland.com has to be one of the best advocacy websites that I have ever seen. The videos and images evoked feelings of heritage and history that still have me sitting here with goosebumps. One video in particular has me at a loss for words... The images, the music, everything is perfect. Take a look...


Personally, I don't know if any of my ancestors came through Ellis Island or not, but I have to say that this video has left me wanting to find out.

No comments: